4. Explanation Of Columns. The following provides an explanation if the tabular listing in Section IV, Cross-reference
a. NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER (NSN) INDEX.
(1) STOCK NUMBER (Column 1). This column lists the NSN by National Item Identification Number (NIIN)
sequence. The NIIN consists of the last nine digits of the NSN (i.e.,
5305-01-674-1467 ). When using this column to locate an item, ignore the first 4 digits of the NSN. However, the
complete NSN should be used when ordering items by stock number.
(2) FIG. (Column 2). This column lists the number of the figure where the item is identified/located. The
(3) ITEM (Column 3). The item number identifies the item associated with the figure listed in the adjacent FIG.
column. This item is also identified by the NSN listed on the same line.
b. PART NUMBER INDEX. Part numbers in this index are listed by part number in ascending alphanumeric
sequence (i.e., vertical arrangement of letter and number combination which places the first letter or digit of each group in
order A through Z, followed by the numbers 0 through 9 and each following letter or digit in like order).
(1) CAGEC (Column 1). The Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) Code (C) is a 5-digit alphanumeric
code used to identify the manufacturer, distributor, or Government agency, etc., that supplies the item.
(2) PART NUMBER (Column 2). Indicates the primary number used by the manufacturer (individual, firm,
corporation, or Government activity), which controls the design and characteristics of the item by means of its engineering
drawings, specifications standards and inspection requirements to identify an item or range of items.
(3) STOCK NUMBER (Column 3). This column lists the NSN for the associated part number and manufacturer
identified in the PART NUMBER or CAGEC columns to the left.
(4) FIG. (Column 4). This column lists the number of the figure where the item is identified/located in Section
(5) ITEM (Column 5). The item number is that number assigned to the item as it appears in the figure
referenced in the adjacent figure number column.
Change 1 6