plain washer and secure it in place with the retaining bolt
and lock washer.
15. If removed, thread the lock nut on the idle speed
adjusting screw. Then, thread the idle speed adjusting
screw into the spring housing cover approximately 1.00".
Assemble Variable Speed Spring Housing to the
1. Refer to Fig. 12 and insert the small end of the
spring plunger in the plunger guide. Insert the solid stop
in the governor control housing.
Fig. 15. Governor Weight Housing
2. Place the spring retainer in the spring housing, with
5. Refer to Fig. 2 and position the lower end of the Fig.
the closed end of the retainer against the spring lever. If
15 Governor Weight Housing control housing over the
shims were used, place them inside of the spring
dowel pins of the weight housing. The finished surface
retainer. Insert the split stop in the spring housing and
of the operating fork must be placed against the outer
against the spring retainer.
side of the thrust bearing.
NOTE: Be sure to use shims with an .344" inside
NOTE: For ease in assembling the governor control
diameter. Either spring retainer may be used with shims
housing to the interim weight housing (no identification
which have a .750" I.D. However, do not use the .344"
mark, Fig. 15), install a special bolt (3/8"-24 x 3/4" or
I.D. shims with a spring retainer which has only one air
7/8"), from which the outer 1/2" of thread down to a
diameter of 5/16" to 1/4" has been removed, as a tool in
the 1/8" NPTF oil hole to prevent the thrust bearing from
3. Insert the variable speed spring in the spring plunger
moving too far forward in the weight housing. Current
with the tightly wound end of the spring against the
weight housing has two ribs cast on the inner surface of
the housing to prevent any part of the riser thrust
bearing from sliding forward to where the operating fork
4. Insert the bolts through the spring housing. Place a
could be inserted on the wrong side of one or more parts
new gasket over the bolts and against the housing.
of the bearing.
5. Place the spring housing in position against the
6. Use a new gasket and attach the governor control
control housing with the spring plunger engaged in the
housing to the cylinder head with two bolts (Fig. 2).
end of the variable speed spring. Thread the bolts in the
Tighten the bolts.
control housing and tighten them securely.
7. Tighten the governor-to-blower bolts with tool J 4242.
8. Connect the oil tube to the restricted fitting on the
Affix a new governor-to-blower gasket to the
weight housing, or cover if used.
governor weight housing. Refer to Fig. 2 and start the
splined end of the weight shaft into the upper blower
9. Refer to Fig. I and position the fuel rod over the
rotor and position the housing against the blower end
differential lever pin. Place a flat washer over the pin
and secure it with a retainer.
2. Place a new copper gasket on each weight housing-
10. Attach the fuel rod to the injector control tube lever
to-blower bolt and thread the bolts into the blower end
with a pin and cotter pin.
plate, finger tight only.
11. Place a new gasket on the governor control housing
3. Place a new gasket over the dowels and against the
and mount the governor cover on the housing with the
side of the weight housing facing the engine (Fig. 9).
pin on the lever shaft registering with the machined slot
in the differential lever as shown in Fig. 1.
4. Move the thrust bearing assembly and riser toward
the weight end of the shaft.
12. Secure the cover to the governor housing with three
regular screws, one special screw and lock washers.