Fig. 10. Removing Governor Weight and Shaft
Fig. 11 Installing Needle Bearing in Governor Cover
using Tool J 21068
6. Place the torsion retraction spring over the cover hub
with the hooked end up (Fig. 3). Then place the stop
shaft resting on a steel block. Align the flat in the
lever on the shaft and tighten the clamping bolt.
operating fork with the flat on the shaft, then place the
sleeve over the end of the shaft and rest it on the fork.
Assemble Governor Control' Housing
Press the fork straight down tight against the shoulder
on the shaft.
1. Place the bearing washer over the short, finished end
of the operating shaft (Fig. 5). Start the bearing over
6. Place the differential lever over the pivot pin of the
the end of the shaft. Support the opposite end of the
operating lever. Install the plain washer and spring
shaft on the bed of the press. Using a sleeve having the
same diameter as the bearing inner race, press the
bearing on the shaft tight against the washer.
7. Place the lock washer and the flat washer over the
bearing retaining screw. Refer to Fig. I and thread the
2. With the pivot pin in the operating lever up, start the
screw in the control housing tight to secure the bearing.
lever over the end of the shaft with the flat on the shaft
registering with the flat surface in the lever. Press the
8. Refer to Fig. 6 and insert the variable speed spring
lever on the shaft tight against the bearing.
plunger guide in the control housing.
3. Lubricate the bearing and operating shaft bushing in
9. Apply a good quality sealant around the outer
the housing with clean engine oil. Insert the lever and
periphery of the expansion plug and tap the plug into the
operating shaft assembly in the control housing.
lower end of the control housing.
4. Position the operating fork over the lower end of the
Assemble Governor Weight Housing
operating shaft so the finished side of the fork fingers
will rest against the thrust bearing as shown in Fig. 1.
1. Install the lock ring in the groove of the weight pin
(Fig. 9). Place the flat washer over the pin and against
5. Support the operating shaft and control housing on
the lock ring.
the bed of an arbor press with the upper end of the