Do not exchange upper and lower bearing
halves. Damage to engine assembly may
result if bearing halves are not kept
All six pistons and connecting rods are
disassembled the same way.
Tag and mark all bearing halves upon
(1) Tag, mark, and remove 12 bearing halves (1
and 2) from six connecting rods (3) and rod
(2) Remove two retaining rings (5) and wrist
pin (6). Separate piston (7) from connecting
(3) Remove top ring (8), intermediate ring (9),
and oil control ring (10).
(4) Remove oil ring expander (11) from oil
control ring (10).
Drycleaning solvent (P-D-680) is TOXIC and flammable. Wear protective goggles and gloves; use
only in well-ventilated area; avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do not breathe vapors.
Keep away from heat or flame. Never smoke when using solvent; the flashpoint for type I
drycleaning solvent is 100°F (38°C) and for type II is 140°F (60°C). Failure to do so may result in
injury or death to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help.
If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush
eyes with water and get immediate medical attention.
(1) Soak pistons in a pan filled with drycleaning solvent until carbon deposits are easily removed.
(2) Wash pistons and connecting rods with hot water and detergent. Use a brush to remove carbon deposits.