5-22. PISTON AND CONNECTING ROD REPLACEMENT/REPAIR (CONT).
Install rings with printed side up.
Improper installation will cause
damage to engine.
End gaps of rings must be 120° apart
from each other. Improper
installation will cause damage to
(1) Lubricate rings (8,9, and 10) with engine oil.
End gap of rings must be at opposite ends
of each other.
(2) Install oil ring expander (11) and oil control
(3) Install intermediate ring (9) and top ring (8).
(4) Install one retaining ring (5) in piston (7).
Markings on piston head and numbers on
connecting rod must be oriented in same
direction for proper assembly. Failure to
do so will result in damage to engine.
(5) Assemble piston (7) and connecting rod (3) securing with wrist pin (6).
(6) Install remaining retaining ring (5).
Do not apply grease on outer diameter of bearing halves or damage may result to bearing halves, related
bearing caps, and crankshaft.
(7) Lubricate 12 bearing halves (1 and 2) with general purpose grease.
(8) Assemble 12 bearings halves (1 and 2) in six connecting rods (3) with six rod caps (4).