10. Place a washer over the bearing retaining bolt (Fig.
2. Start the pin through the opening in the weight
9). Thread the bolt into the tapped end of the shaft and
carrier. Place the second washer over the pin and
tighten it. Bend the tang of the washer against the head
against the projecting arm of the weight carrier.
of the bolt.
3. Position the governor weight between the projecting
11. Place a gasket in the housing and against the
arms of the weight carrier. Push the pin through the
Apply a Loctite sealant, grade HV, or
governor weight. Place the third flat washer over the pin
equivalent, to the full 360°circumference of the end plug
and against the weight.
and thread the plug into the tapped end of the governor
weight housing. Tighten the plug to 45 lb-ft (61 Nm)
4. Then push the pin completely through the weight
torque with either the flat or the point of the head on a
carrier and place the fourth flat washer over the pin and
against the projecting arm of the weight carrier. Install
the second lock ring in the groove of the weight carrier
Assemble Variable Speed Spring Housing
5. Install the second governor weight as outlined in
Steps 1 through 4.
control lever shaft needle bearings with Shell Alvania
No. 2 grease, or equivalent. Then start one of the
6. Slide the riser over the shaft and against the finished
bearings, numbered end up, straight in the bearing bore
surfaces of the governor weights as shown in Fig. 1.
in the right-hand side of the spring housing.
7. Assemble the riser thrust bearing on the weight shaft
2. Install the needle bearing pilot rod J 9196-2 in the
with the bearing race having the smaller inside diameter
installer body J 9196-1 and secure it in place with the
against the thrust riser. Incorrect installation of the
bearing will result in erratic operation of the governor.
3. Place the pilot rod end of the bearing installer
8. Insert the weight carrier and shaft assembly in the
assembly in the bearing. Support the spring housing,
bearing and installer on a short sleeve on the bed of an
arbor press as shown in Fig. 14, then press the bearing
9. Support the splined end of the shaft on the bed of an
in the housing until the shoulder on the installer contacts
arbor press. Start the shaft end bearing in the housing
and over the end of the shaft with the numbered side of
the bearing facing away from the shaft. Press the new
When the shoulder on the installer body
bearing in place using a 1 3/8" diameter metal bar flat
contacts the housing, the bearing will be properly
on the ends which will bear against both the inner and
positioned in the housing.
outer races of the bearing.
4. If removed, install the spring lever Woodruff key in
the center keyway in the speed control lever shaft.
5. Place the spring lever assembly between the bearing
bores inside the spring housing with the arm (roller end)
of the lever facing out.
6. Insert the correct end of the single lever type, speed
control lever shaft through the bearing bore in the side
of the spring housing, opposite the bearing previously
installed (Fig. 12). Align the key in the shaft with the
keyway in the spring lever, and push the shaft through
the lever and in the bearing until the flat on the top of
the shaft is centered under the set screw hole in the
Fig. 12. Cross Section of Governor Variable Speed
7. Thread the set screw into the spring lever, making
sure the point of the screw is seated in the flat on the