Fig. 13. Variable Speed Spring Housing and Shaft Details and Relative Location of Parts
8. Place the second speed control lever shaft needle
9. Remove the bearing pilot rod J 9196-2 from the
bearing, numbered end up, over the protruding end of
installer body J 9196-1 and place the installer body over
the shaft and start it straight in the bore of the housing.
the end of the shaft and against the bearing. Support
the spring housing, bearings and installer on a short
sleeve on the bed of an arbor press as shown in Fig.
14, then press the bearing in the housing until the
shoulder on the installer contacts the housing.
10. Apply a thin coat of sealing compound to the
outside diameter of the cup plug. Start the cup plug
straight in the bearing bore in the housing, then support
the spring housing, bearings and shaft assembly on a
sleeve on the bed of an arbor press, and press the cup
plug in flush with the outside face of the housing (Fig.
11. Clamp the spring housing assembly in a bench vise
equipped with soft jaws. Then tighten the spring lever
retaining set screw to 5-7 Ib-ft (7-10 Nm) torque.
12. Stake the edge of the spring lever set screw hole
with a small center punch and hammer to retain the set
screw in the lever. Then, install the plug in the former
13. Place a seal ring over the end of the shaft and push
it into the bearing bore and against the bearing. Place
the plain washer over the shaft and against the housing,
then install the Woodruff key in the keyway in the shaft.
14. Place the speed control lever on the shaft in its
Fig. 14. Installing Speed Control Shaft Bearings in
original position. Align the keyway in the lever with the
Spring Housing using Tool J 9196.
key in the shaft and push the lever in against the