10. Screw the relief valve plug (37), with copper gasket
(36), into place in the side of the pump body opposite
the inlet opening. Then place the valve (4) and
spring (30) in the bore at the inlet side of the pump
body as shown in Fig. 2, and while compressing the
spring, start the second relief valve plug (37), with
gasket (36), into the body. Tighten the plugs.
11. If the cover (28) and gasket (29) were removed
from the pump body, reinstall and secure them with
the two bolts (78) and lock washers.
The oil pump must turn freely after assembly. Any
bind in the pump must be removed before it is
installed on the engine.
Fig. 7 - Oil Pump Drive Shaft and Gear
Remove Oil Pump Driving Gear from Crankshaft
4. Install the drive gear and shaft assembly in the pump
With the oil pan and lubricating oil pump removed, the
body and slide the driven gear (22) onto the shaft
oil pump driving gear may be removed from the
crankshaft as follows:
5. Secure the pump cover (21) to the oil pump body
1. Support the front end of the engine and remove the
with four bolts (54) and lock washers.
6. Support the drive gear end of the drive shaft (13) on
2. Remove the oil slinger.
the bed of an arbor press and insert the Woodruff key
(14) in the keyway of the shaft. Position the drive-
3. If required use puller J 3051 (Fig. 8) to pull
driven gear (49) on the end of the drive shaft with the
extended hub side up away from the pump body.
Insert a .005" feeler ribbon between the driven gear
and the pump body and press the gear on the shaft
until the clearance between the gear and the body is
7.. If the locating pin (87) was removed, install it in the
idler gear support (82), then lubricate the bearing
surface with engine oil and place the gear (56) in
position on the support (82) with the flat side of gear
facing the support.
8. Place the lock washer (84) on the bolt (83) and the
special washer (85) next to the lock washer and start
the bolt into the idler gear support. Then rotate the
special washer and lock washer so that the slot in
each washer engages the locating pin (87).
9. Tighten the idler gear bolt so the bolt head is over
the end of the locating pin (87). Then bend the lock
washer against one flat of the bolt head.
Fig. 8 - Removing Oil Pump Driving Gear from