CRANKSHAFT FRONT COVER
The crankshaft front cover is mounted against the
cylinder block end plate at the lower front end of the
engine (Fig. 1). The engine is supported at the front
end by engine supports attached to the front cover.
It will be necessary to remove the crankshaft front cover
to remove and install the crankshaft or when the engine
Remove Crankshaft Front Cover
1. Drain the oil and remove the oil pan.
accessories that may be mounted on the front of the
Fig. 2 - Crankshaft Front Cover Details and Relative
Location of Parts
3. Remove the vibration damper inner cone or oil seal
7. Remove and inspect the oil slinger.
4. Remove the cover attaching bolts and washers (Fig.
Install Crankshaft Front Cover
5. Strike the rear face of the ears on the cover with a
soft hammer to free the cover from the dowels. Pull the
1. Install the oil slinger in place next to the oil pump
cover straight off the end of the crankshaft.
drive gear, with the dished outer diameter of the slinger
6. Remove the cover gasket.
facing away from the gear.
2. Shellac a new gasket to the bolting flange of the
crankshaft front cover.
Fig. 1. Crankshaft Front Cover Mounting (Vibration
Fig. 3. Crankshaft Front Cover Bolt Tightening