4-23. Starting Motor
(1) Remove the engine house side door
nearest the drum.
(2) Remove the starting motor as instructed
on figure 4-17.
LOOSEN NUTS (4).
DISCONNECT LEADS (4).
FROM THE GEAR COVER AND REMOVE
1. DISCONNECT STARTER CABLE.
2. REMOVE NUTS (2), WASHERS AND
3. REMOVE CAPSCREWS (3), WASHERS AND
Figure 4-18. Magneto removal.
b. Disassembly. Remove four screws, end cap
Figure. 4-17. Starting motor removal.
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean the starting motor with a cleaning
(1) Clean all parts with a cleaning solvent.
(2) Inspect the starting motor for wear,
(2) Inspect the contact points for deep
defects, and damage. Replace a worn, defective or
pitting or burning. Replace points as instructed on
damaged starting motor.
(3) Inspect the magneto for wear, defects,
and damage. Replace a worn, defective or
c. Installation. Install the starting motor in
reverse of the instructions in sub paragraph a
(4) Test the condensor for an open or short
circuited condition. Replace if defective.
(1) Remove the engine house side door.
(2) Remove the magneto as instructed on