5-87. GATE CYLINDER REPAIR (CONT)
Compressed air used for cleaning purposes must not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use only with effective
chip guarding and personal protective equipment (goggles/shield, gloves, etc).
(2) Dry with compressed air.
(3) Check cylinder body for grooves on inside wall.
(4) Check piston rod guide and piston for nicks and gouges.
(5) Check piston rod threads for nicks and burrs.
(6) Remove nicks and burrs with crocus cloth. Clean up threads as necessary.
(7) Replace piston rod if scored, pitted, bent, or damaged.
(1) Install preformed packing (15) and back-up
ring (14) in rod guide (11).
(2) Install back-up ring (13) and preformed
packing (12) on rod guide (11).