5-75. TIE ROD REPLACEMENT/REPAIR (CONT).
Toe-in should be checked whenever tie rod ends are loosened or removed.
(1) Remove two nuts (1), screws (2), and clamps (3) from tie rod (4).
Before removing tie rod ends, measure amount of exposed threads.
(2) Measure amount of exposed threads on tie rod end as shown. Record measurement.
(3) Remove tie rod ends (5) from tube (6).
(4) Remove two grease fittings (7) from tie rod ends (5).
(5) If necessary, remove two bushings (8) from tie rod ends (5).
Drycleaning solvent (P-D-680) is TOXIC and flammable. Wear protective goggles and gloves; use
only in well-ventilated area; avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do not breathe vapors.
Keep away from heat or flame. Never smoke when using solvent; the flashpoint for type I
drycleaning solvent is 100°F (38°C) and for type II is 140°F (60°C). Failure to do so may result in
injury or death to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help.
If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush
eyes with water and get immediate medical attention.
(1) Clean all metal parts with drycleaning solvent.