5-74. REAR BEARING, HUB, AND BRAKE DRUM REPLACEMENT (CONT).
Drycleaning solvent (P-D-680) is TOXIC and flammable. Wear protective goggles and gloves; use
only in well-ventilated area; avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do not breathe vapors.
Keep away from heat or flame. Never smoke when using solvent; the flashpoint for type I
drycleaning solvent is 100°F (38°C) and for type II is 140°F (60°C). Failure to do so may result in
injury or death to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help.
If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush
eyes with water and get immediate medical attention.
(1) Clean all metal parts with drycleaning solvent.
Compressed air used for cleaning purposes must not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use only with effective
chip guarding and personal protective equipment (goggles/shields, gloves, etc.).
(2) Use a lint-free cloth or compressed air to dry all metal parts except bearings.
(3) Check thread for crossed or peeled conditions.
(4) Check brake drums for excessive wear. Replace brake drum if not within the following specifications:
15.738 in. (39.97
Nominal Internal Diameter
15.870 in. (40.31
Maximum Usable Diameter
15.830 in. (40.21
Max. Allow. Remachining Diameter
0.005 in. (0.01
Allowable Radial Variance
(5) Check all parts for damage, cracks, breaks, or deterioration. Replace unserviceable parts.
(6) Replace damaged parts.