5. Install the valve guide oil seals on the valve guides
11. With the exhaust valves installed in the cylinder
head, use spring checking gage J 25076-01 and note
the gage reading the moment the exhaust valve starts to
a. Place the plastic seal installation cap on the end
required to start to open the exhaust valve must not be
of the valve stem. If the cap extends more than
less than 15 pounds (67 N).
1/16 " below the groove on the valve stem,
remove the cap and cut off the excess length.
12. Install the injectors, rocker arms, shafts, brackets
and any other parts previously removed from the
b. Lubricate the installation cap and start the seal
carefully over the valve stem. Push the seal
down slowly until it rests on top of the valve
13. Install the cylinder head. Refer to Pre-Installation
c. Remove the installation cap.
6. Install the valve springs and valve spring caps.
7. Thread the valve spring compressor J 7455 into one
of the rocker shaft bolt holes in the cylinder head (Fig.
8. Apply pressure to the free end of the tool to
compress the valve spring and install the two-piece
tapered valve lock. Exercise care to avoid scoring the
valve stem with the valve cap when compressing the
Compress the valve spring only
enough to permit installation of the
valve locks. Compressing the spring
too far may result in damage to the
9. Release the tool and install the valve locks on the
Fig. 16. Checking Pressure Required to Open the
remaining exhaust valves in the same manner.
Exhaust Valve in Cylinder Head
10. Check the position of the exhaust valves (Fig. 14).
Support the cylinder head at each end with wood blocks
and remove the masking tape so that the exhaust
valves are free. Then give the end of the valve stem a
sharp tap with a plastic hammer to seat the valve locks.
This will aid in the proper seating of the valve locks and
reduce the chances of failure.