Remove and install exhaust valves.
10. Remove the injector control tube and brackets as
Remove and install exhaust valve guides.
Recondition exhaust valves and valve seat inserts.
11. If the cylinder head is to be disassembled for
Replace fuel injector tubes.
reconditioning of the exhaust valves and valve seat
Install new cylinder head gaskets and seals.
inserts or for a complete overhaul, remove the fuel
Remove and install camshaft.
for removal of the injectors.
Due to the various optional and accessory equipment
12. Loosen (three or four turns) the two bolts directly
used, only the general steps for removal of the cylinder
below each lifter bracket which attach the balance
head are covered. If the engine is equipped with
weight cover and flywheel housing to the front and rear
accessories that affect cylinder head removal, note the
end plates. Otherwise, the threaded ends of the bolts
position of each before disconnecting or removing them
may interfere with removal of the cylinder head.
to ensure correct reinstallation. Then refer to Fig. 2 and
13. Remove the two bolts which secure the front lifter
remove the cylinder head as follows.
bracket to the balance weight cover and the two bolts
attaching the rear lifter bracket to the flywheel housing.
1. Drain the cooling system.
14. Check the torque on the cylinder head bolts before
Disconnect the exhaust piping at the exhaust
removing the head. Then remove the bolts and, using
lifting hooks and a chain hoist, lift the cylinder head from
3. Remove the air cleaner and the air inlet housing.
the cylinder block.
4. Remove the exhaust manifold.
removing the head bolts and examining the condition of
5. Disconnect the fuel lines at the cylinder head and
the compression gaskets and seals after the head is
removed may reveal the causes of any cylinder head
6. Remove the thermostat housing assembly.
7. Remove the water manifold.
NOTE: When placing the cylinder head
assembly on a bench, protect the cam
followers and injector spray tips, if the
injectors were not removed, by resting
the valve side of the head on 2" thick
15. Place the cylinder head on its side and remove the
engine lifter brackets and gaskets. Then attach the
cylinder head holding plates J 3087-01 to raise the head
Fig. 6. Cylinder Head Mounted on Holding Plates (J
Fig. 5. Removing or Installing Injector Control
8. Clean and remove the valve rocker cover and the
9. Disconnect the fuel rod from the injector control tube
lever and the governor. Remove the fuel rod.