8. Check for bind in the governor-to-injector linkage.
1. Refer to Items 2, 3 and 5 and perform the operations
Readjust the governor and injector controls if necessary.
9. Remove the cylinder head and recondition the
2. Replace the starting motor switch.
3. Hand crank the engine at least one complete
10. Remove the air box covers and inspect the
revolution. If the engine cannot be rotated a complete
compression rings through the ports in the cylinder
revolution, internal damage is indicated and the engine
liners. Overhaul the cylinder assemblies if the rings are
must be disassembled to ascertain the extent of
badly worn or broken.
damage and the cause.
11. To check for compression gasket leakage, remove
4. Refer to Lubricating Oil Specifications on Page 10-9-
the coolant filler cap and operate the engine. A steady
9 for the recommended grade of oil.
flow of gases from the coolant filler indicates either a
cylinder head gasket is damaged or the cylinder head is
5. Recharge the battery if a light load test indicates low
cracked. Remove the cylinder head and replace the
or no voltage. Replace the battery if it is damaged or
gaskets or cylinder head.
will not hold a charge.
12. Adjust the exhaust valve clearance.
Replace terminals that are damaged or corroded.
13. Remove the flywheel housing cover at the blower
At low ambient temperatures, use of a starting aid will
drive support. Then remove the snap ring and withdraw
keep the battery fully charged by reducing the cranking
the blower drive shaft from the blower. Inspect the
blower drive shaft and drive coupling. Replace the
damaged parts. Bar the engine over. If the blower does
6. Tighten the starter connections. Inspect the starter
not rotate, remove the air inlet adaptor and visually
commutator and brushes for wear. Replace the brushes
inspect the blower rotors and end plates. If visual
if badly worn and overhaul the starting motor if the
distress is noted, remove the blower (refer to Page 10-4-
commutator is damaged.
7. To check for air leaks, flow obstruction, faulty fuel
Operate the starting aid according to the
pump or faulty installation, consult the No Fuel or
instructions under Cold Weather Starting Aid.
Insufficient Fuel chart.