Remove and install exhaust valves.
Remove and install exhaust valve guides.
10. Remove the injector control tube and brackets as
Recondition exhaust valves and valve seat inserts.
Replace fuel injector tubes.
11. If the cylinder head is to be disassembled for
Install new cylinder head gaskets and seals.
reconditioning of the exhaust valves and valve seat
Remove and install camshaft.
inserts or for a complete overhaul, remove the fuel
Due to the various optional and accessory equipment
for removal of the injectors.
used, only the general steps for removal of the cylinder
12. Loosen (three or four turns) the two bolts directly
head are covered. If the engine is equipped with
below each lifter bracket which attach the balance
accessories that affect cylinder head removal, note the
weight cover and flywheel housing to the front and rear
position of each before disconnecting or removing them
end plates. Otherwise, the threaded ends of the bolts
to ensure correct reinstallation. Then refer to Fig. 2 and
may interfere with removal of the cylinder head.
remove the cylinder head as follows.
13. Remove the two bolts which secure the front lifter
bracket to the balance weight cover and the two bolts
1. Drain the cooling system.
attaching the rear lifter bracket to the flywheel housing.
Disconnect the exhaust piping at the exhaust
14. Check the torque on the cylinder head bolts before
removing the head. Then remove the bolts and, using
3. Remove the air cleaner and the air inlet housing.
lifting hooks and a chain hoist, lift the cylinder head from
4. Remove the exhaust manifold.
the cylinder block.
5. Disconnect the fuel lines at the cylinder head and
removing the head bolts and examining the condition of
the compression gaskets and seals after the head is
6. Remove the thermostat housing assembly.
removed may reveal the causes of any cylinder head
7. Remove the water manifold.
NOTE: When placing the cylinder head
assembly on a bench, protect the cam
followers and injector spray tips, if the
injectors were not removed, by resting
the valve side of the head on 2" thick
15. Place the cylinder head on its side and remove the
engine lifter brackets and gaskets. Then attach the
cylinder head holding plates J 3087-01 to raise the head
Fig. 6. Cylinder Head Mounted on Holding Plates (J
Fig. 5. Removing or Installing Injector Control
8. Clean and remove the valve rocker cover and the
9. Disconnect the fuel rod from the injector control tube
lever and the governor. Remove the fuel rod.