Clean and inspect all engine parts and
it to remove the rust preventive and blow out the oil
subassemblies and, using new parts as required, install
galleries with compressed air.
them on the cylinder block by reversing the sequence of
The procedures for inspecting and
1. Mount the cylinder block on the overhaul stand.
installing the various parts and sub-assemblies are
outlined in the following sections of this manual.
2. If a new service replacement block is used, stamp
the engine serial number and model number on the pad
5. Use a chain hoist and suitable sling to transfer the
located in the upper right-hand corner on the blower side
engine to a dynamometer test stand.
of the block. Also stamp the position numbers on the
main bearing caps (Fig. 19) and the position of the No.
Complete the engine build-up by installing all
I bearing on the oil pan mounting flange of the block.
remaining accessories, fuel lines, electrical connections,
3. Install all of the required cylinder block plugs and
drain cocks. Use a good grade of non-hardening
7. Operate the engine on a dynamometer, following the
sealant on the threads of the plugs and drain cocks.
Install the plugs flush with or below the surface of the
8. Reinstall the engine.