Figure 2-23. Disconnect/Connect Main Clutch U-Joint.
(5) Using a hammer and brass drift, tap the rear U-joint (3) forward on the drive shaft (4) and off the clutch shaft (1).
In some cases the U-joint may not slide forward far enough to allow the U-joint to slide off the clutch shaft. (The
shaft contacts the U-joint cross.) In this case, the drive shaft (4) must be cleaned, polished, and lubricated, and the
forward U-joint (5), lockwire (7), and setscrew (6) removed, then tap the shaft forward until the rear U-joint (3) slips
off the clutch shaft (1).
(6) Remove the six bolts, washers, and nuts (13, fig. 2-24) that mount the three bearing blocks (1) (two per bearing
(7) Remove bolt and washer (18) and remove clutch lever (21).
(8) Remove two cotter pins and washers (8). Remove nuts (6) only if replacing rods (7).
(9) Remove two nuts and washers (12). Remove two ball joints (9) and nuts (10) only if replacing rod (11).
(10) Remove bolts, washers, and nuts (15 and 20) from brace (2) and support rail (22).
(11) Lower brace (2) off vehicle with shaft (3), retainer ring (4), bracket (5), fork assembly (16), and attached linkages.
(12) Slide main clutch assembly (19) forward far enough to disengage drive coupling (1, fig. 2-25) from right angle gear
box (2) and remove assembly.
(13) Loosen two bolts and washers (14, fig. 2-24) and setscrews (17); using hammer and brass drift, tap out shaft (3)
and remove two retainer rings (4) and fork assembly (16) with attached linkages.