5-78. STEERING CYLINDER REPAIR (CONT).
(11) Remove seal (20) and back-up ring seal (21)
from outside of rod guide (10). Discard seal
and back-up ring seal.
(12) Remove three seals (22) from inside rod
guide (10). Discard seals.
Drycleaning solvent (P-D-680) is
TOXIC and flammable. Wear
protective goggles and gloves; use only
in a well-ventilated area; avoid contact
with skin, eyes, and clothes and do not
breathe vapors. Keep away from heat
of flame. Never smoke when using
solvent; the flash point for type I
drycleaning solvent is 100°F (38°C)
and for type II is 140°F (60°C). Failure
to do so may result in injury or death
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help.
If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush
eyes with water and get immediate medical attention.
(1) Clean all metal parts with drycleaning solvent.
Compressed air is used for cleaning purposes and must not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use only with
effective chip guarding and personal protective equipment (goggles, gloves, etc.).
(2) Use lint-free cloth, or compressed air to dry all metal parts.
(3) Check parts for nicks, galling, or cracks.
(4) Check bushings and seals for damage.
(5) Replace damaged parts.