5-76. STEERING CONTROL UNIT REPAIR (CONT).
Some spool and sleeve sets are
marked; if present, align marks as
Spool should rotate smoothly in
sleeve with finger-tip force applied
at splined end.
(5) Assemble spool (22) and sleeve (23)
carefully so that the spring slots line up at
the same end. Rotate spool while sliding
(6) Install two sets of three springs (24) with
notches facing sleeve (23) and arched centers
(7) Center installed springs so that they push
down evenly and flush with upper surface of
the spool (22) and sleeve (23).
(8) Install pin (21) through spool (22) and
sleeve (23) until pin is flush on both sides.
Make sure that no parts tilt or slide out of
position while installing spool and sleeve
assembly. Keep pin in horizontal position.
Do not push end of spool and sleeve
assembly past end of housing. Damage to
spool and sleeve assembly or housing may
result if these precautions are not
(9) Install seal (20) and preformed packing (19)
in seal gland bushing (13).