5-69. DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY REPAIR (CONT).
(30) Tighten adjusting ring (35) until ring
gear (14) has 0 (zero) backlash.
(31) Tighten adjusting ring (36) until bearing
cup (30) is seated.
If old pinion and ring gear are used, backlash should be the same as recorded in Disassembly step (1). If
new pinion and ring gear are used, set backlash to specification etched on ring gear.
(32) With a dial indicator, check ring and pinion backlash in four equally spaced positions around ring
gear (14). Tighten adjusting rings (35 and 36) until gear backlash is set to correct specifications.
(33) If backlash needs to be increased, proceed as follows:
(a) Loosen adjusting ring (36) five or six notches.
(b) Loosen adjusting ring (35) one notch.
(c) Tighten adjusting ring (36) until adjusting ring resists movement, then tighten two or three more
notches. Check for correct backlash.
(34) If backlash needs to be decreased, proceed as follows: