5-69. DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY REPAIR (CONT).
Due to a tight fit, it may be necessary to
tap the pinion to remove from differential
(24) Remove pinion (33) from differential
(25) Remove bearing cone (34) and bearing
assembly (35) from pinion shaft (33).
(1) Scrape old sealant from differential carrier.
Drycleaning solvent (P-D-680) is
TOXIC and flammable. Wear
protective goggles and gloves; use only
in well-ventilated area; avoid contact
with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do not
breathe vapors. Keep away from heat
or flame. Never smoke when using
solvent; the flashpoint for type I
drycleaning solvent is 100°F (38°C)
and for type II is 140°F (60°C). Failure
to do so may result in injury or death
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help.
If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush
eyes with water and get immediate medical attention.
(2) Clean all metal parts with drycleaning solvent.
Compressed air used for cleaning purposes must not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use only with effective
chip guarding and personal protective equipment (goggles/shield, gloves, etc).
(3) Use clean lint-free cloth or compressed air to dry all metal parts except bearings.
(5) Check all metal parts for breaks, cracks, and sharp edges.