5-69. DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY REPAIR (CONT).
(17) Remove differential side gear (22) and thrust washer (23) from left-hand case half (12).
(18) Remove bearing cone (24) from back of left-hand case half (12).
Keep hands out from under ring gear. Do not allow ring gear to drop. Ring gear is heavy and can cause
injury if dropped on hands.
Do not use a chisel to remove rivet heads.
Damage to differential case may result.
(19) Carefully center punch each of 14 rivet
heads (25) securing ring gear (1) to left-hand
case half (12).
(20) Use a 15/32 inch drill bit to drill through
rivet heads (25) to depth of l/4 inch
(21) Using rounded punch, drive out remaining
portion of 14 rivets (25). Discard rivets.