5-68. DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT (CONT).
Adhesive sealant causes immediate
bonding on contact with eyes, skin, or
clothing and also gives off harmful vapors.
Wear protective goggles and use in well
ventilated area. If sealant gets in eyes, try
to keep eyes open; flush eyes with water for
15 minutes and get immediate medical
(1) Apply bead of sealant adhesive to
differential mounting surface of axle
Differential carrier weighs 152 lbs (69 kg).
Attach suitable lifting device prior to
installation to prevent possible injury to
(2) While mechanic operates lifting device, assistant guides differential carrier (5) on axle housing (2).
(3) Apply sealant to threads of screws (3).
(4) Install washers (4) and screws (3). Tighten
screws 50 to 70 lb-ft (68 - 95 N·m).
(5) Apply sealant to drain lug (1) and install in
axle housing (2).
(6) Allow one-hour curing time for adhesive
before adding gear oil to axle housing.