Differential carrier weighs 152 lbs (69 kg).
Attach suitable lifting device prior to
removal to prevent possible injury
Do not strike differential carrier to loosen.
Tap around flange edge to avoid damage.
(3) Attach suitable lifting device to differential
(4) While mechanic operates lifting device,
assistant guides differential carrier (5) from
axle housing (2).
(1) Scrape dirt and old sealant from mounting surface on axle housing and differential carrier.
Drycleaning solvent (P-D-680) is TOXIC and flammable. Wear protective goggles and gloves; use
only in well-ventilated area; avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do not breathe vapors.
Keep away from heat or flame. Never smoke when using solvent; the flashpoint for type I
drycleaning solvent is 100°F (38°C) and for type II is 140°F (60°C). Failure to do so may result in
injury or death to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help.
If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush
eyes with water and get immediate medical attention.
(2) Use drycleaning solvent to clean axle housing and differential carrier.
(3) Use clean lint-free cloth to wipe dry.
(4) Check mounting surfaces for nicks, burrs, or other damage.
(5) Check carrier and housing for cracks or damage.
(6) Check all threads for peeled or crossed condition. Replace if damaged.