5-24. CAMSHAFT REPLACEMENT/REPAIR (CONT).
Height is measured from the base
(8) Measure valve tappet diameter at 0.512 in.
(13 mm) high and at 1.653 in. (42 mm) high.
Normal diameter is 0.627 to 0.629 in. (15.925
-15.977 mm). If measurement is above or
below normal, replace valve tappet.
(1) Lubricate 12 valve tappets (1) with grease.
(2) Drop installation tool through cylinder head
into trough and pull out trough.
(3) Install installation tool in valve tappet (1)
and insert trough in camshaft bore.
(4) Pull installation tool up inserting valve
tappet (1) into tappet bore.
(5) Turn trough over until convex side of trough
rests against valve tappet (1).
(6) Insert wooden dowel in valve tappet (1) and hold dowel until adjacent valve tappet is installed. Band
adjacent dowels together.
(7) Repeat steps (2) through (6) for remaining eleven valve tappets (1).