5-17. ENGINE REAR OIL SEAL AND COVER REPLACEMENT (CONT).
(3) Remove oil seal (7) and preformed
packing (8) from rear cover (4).
Drycleaning solvent (P-D-680) is
TOXIC and flammable. Wear
protective goggles and gloves; use only
in well-ventilated area; avoid contact
with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do not
breathe vapors. Keep away from heat
or flame. Never smoke when using
solvent; the flashpoint for type I
drycleaning solvent is 100°F (38°C)
and for type II is 140°F (60°C). Failure to do so may result in injury or death to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help.
If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush
eyes with water and get immediate medical attention.
(1) Clean rear cover with drycleaning solvent and dry with lint-free cloth.
(2) Check rear cover for cracks and wear. Replace rear cover if damaged.
(1) Install preformed packing (8) and oil seal (7) in rear cover (4).
It may be necessary to trim gasket to align
rear cover with oil pan.
(2) Install gasket (5) and rear cover (4) on
engine block (6) with six screws (3). Tighten
screws 84 lb-in ( N·m).
(3) Install four washers (2) and screws (1).
Tighten screws 216 lb-in (24 N·m).
END OF TASK