(10) Determine main bearing clearance as
(a) Install 14 bearings (1) in seven bearing
caps (2) and in cylinder block.
(b) Install seven bearing caps (2) and 14
screws (3). Tighten screws 130 lb-ft
(c) Measure and record main bore
diameter is 3.2720 in. (83.109 mm). If
measurement exceeds limit, replace
bearings. If measurement is still above
limit, replace top bearing caps.
(d) Subtract position A (recorded in step ) from position C (C - A). Maximum clearance is 0.00475 in.
(0.119 mm). If measurement exceeds limit, replace crankshaft.
(e) Remove 14 screws (3), seven bearing caps (2), and 14 bearings (1).
(1) If removed, install seven piston cooling
nozzles (16) in cylinder block (10).
Do not apply grease on outer diameter of
bearing halves or damage may result to
bearing halves, related bearing caps, and
(2) Lubricate six bottom rod bearing
halves (15), thrust bearing half (14),
and six bottom bearing halves (13) on convex
side only with general purpose grease.
If top and bottom bearing halves are
exchanged, damage could result to
(3) Install six bottom rod bearing halves (15) on connecting rods (8).
(4) Install thrust bearing half (14) and six bottom bearing halves (13) on cylinder block (10).
(5) Install key (12) in crankshaft (1).