Tag and mark all wires before removal.
(1) Remove nut (1). Tag, mark, and remove positive battery cable (2), and five wires (3 and 4) from
(2) Remove nut (6). Tag, mark, and remove wire (7).
(3) Remove three screws (8). Tag, mark, and remove negative battery cable (9) and two wires (10) from
(4) Remove starter (11) and solenoid (5) from flywheel housing (12).
(1) Wipe off dirt and debris from casing of starter assembly.
(2) Check wires for cracks, fraying and other damage. Replace wires failing inspection.
(3) Check posts for thread damage.
(4) Measure pinion clearance between pinion and retainer. Normal clearance is between 0.10 to 0.140 in.
(0.254 to 3.556 mm). If above or below normal clearance, send to direct support maintenance for repair.