Genera/ Engine Oil Checks and Services.
(1) Oil grade requirements arc listed on the Lubrication Chart (Figure 3-1).
Hot engine oil can cause severe burns and personal injury. Care should be exercised when changing oil
filter and draining hot oil.
(2) Park vehicle on level ground and allow it to sit about ten minutes before checking oil level. Parking on
level ground provides the most accurate level reading on the dipstick. Waiting ten minutes, before checking oil level,
allows all oil to drain into crankcase.
(3) Before changing the engine oil, the engine should run for a few minutes to heat the oil. Warm oil will flow
more easily and help to drain all oil sludge from the crankcase.
Do not overfill crankcase with engine oil or serious damage may occur to engine.
(4) Do not overfill crankcase.
(5) Ensure oil level is correct before operating the vehicle.