The lead-acid storage battery is an electrochemical
device for converting chemical energy into electrical
energy. Two 6-volt lead acid storage batteries are
While the battery is built to satisfactorily withstand the
connected in series to provide 12 volts for the electrical
conditions under which it will normally operate,
excessive mechanical abuse leads to early failure.
Install the battery as follows:
Function of Battery
The battery has three major functions:
1. It provides a source of current for starting the engine.
1. Be sure the battery carrier is clean and that the
2. It acts as a stabilizer to the voltage in the electrical
battery rests level when installed.
2. Tighten the hold-down clamps evenly until snug.
However, do not draw them down too tight or the battery
3. It can, for a limited time, furnish current when the
case will become distorted or will crack.
electrical demands exceed the output of the generator.
3. Connect the batteries as shown in Fig. 4. Attach the
cable clamps after making sure the cables and terminal
Types of Batteries
clamps are clean and in good condition. To make the
There are two types of batteries in use today.
cable connections as corrosion resistant as possible,
1. The dry charge battery contains fully charged
place a felt washer at the base of each terminal beneath
positive plates and negative plates separated by
the cable clamps. Coat the entire connection with a
separators. The battery contains no electrolyte until it is
heavy general purpose grease. Be sure the ground
activated for service in the field and therefore leaves the
cable is clean and tight at the engine block or frame.
factory dry. Consequently, it is called a dry charge
4. Check the polarity to be sure the battery is not
reversed with respect to the generating system.
2. If the battery has been manufactured as a wet
5. Connect the grounded terminal of the battery last to
battery, it will contain fully charged positive and
avoid short circuits which will damage the battery.
negative plates plus an electrolyte. This type of battery
will not maintain its charged condition during storage
and must be charged periodically to keep it ready for
Servicing the Battery
A battery is a perishable item which requires periodic
servicing. Only when the battery is properly cared for as
In the selection of a replacement
described below can long and trouble-free service be
battery, it is always good practice to
select one of an "electrical size" at
least equal to the battery originally
1. Check the level of the electrolyte regularly. Add
water if necessary, but do not overfill. Overfilling can
equipment by the manufacturer.
cause poor performance or early failure.
Fig. 17 - Battery Connecting Diagram.