Assemble Fan, Hub and Bracket
Assemble the fan hub and bracket shown in Fig. 2 and
1. Apply Texaco Premium RB grease, or an equivalent
Lithium base multi-purpose grease, to the rollers of both
bearings before installing them in the pulley hub.
2. Install the inner (rear) roller bearing assembly (inner
and outer race), with the protruding face of the inner
race facing outward from the hub, (1.31 " from end of
shaft), by tapping alternately around the face of the
bearing outer race with a small brass rod and hammer.
3. Install a new oil seal with the rubber side flush with
the outer edge of the hub.
4. Install the dust cap over the oil seal.
5. Place the adjusting bracket assembly on wood blocks
setting on the bed of an arbor press. Then press the
pulley hub on the fan shaft.
6. Pack the cavity 20-30% full with grease as outlined in
7. Install the front ball bearing assembly by tapping
Fig. 3 - Shaft Type Fan Hub Assembly.
alternately around the face of the bearing with a small
brass rod and hammer.
Install Fan, Hub and Bracket
8. Install snap ring in the groove of the pulley hub, to
1. Attach the fan hub and adjusting bracket assembly to
lock the outer (front) ball bearing onto the shaft.
the support bracket on the engine with bolts, lock
washers and plain washers. Do not tighten the bolts.
9. Secure the hub with the washer and bolt. Tighten the
1/2 "-20 bolt to 83-93 lb-ft (113-126 Nm) torque while
2. Install the drive belts and adjust the belt tension as
rotating the pulley.
10. Fill a new fan hub cap 75% minimum full of grease
3. Install the fan on the hub and secure it with bolts and
and install it in the end of the fan hub (pulley).
4. Install the fan guard to the radiator assembly with
The cap must not protrude beyond
four bolts and washers. Be sure that it is positioned so
that there is equal clearance between the tips of all
the face of the hub.
blades and guard.
11. Secure the fan blade and spacers to the pulley hub
with six bolts, nuts and lock washers. Tighten the nuts
to 15-19 lb-ft (20-26 Nm) torque.