Fig. 41.· Tightening Injector Nut With Torque
move it across the block several times, using the figure
eight motion. Lapping the dry part in this manner gives
it the "mirror" finish required for perfect sealing.
Fig. 42. Installing Injector Follower Stop Pin
8. Wash all of the lapped parts in clean fuel oil and dry
them with compressed air.
Refer to Fig. 36 and note the drill spot marks on the
control rack and gear. Then proceed as follows:
Use an extremely clean bench to work on and to place
1. Hold the injector body, bottom end up, and slide the
the parts when assembling an injector. Also be sure all
rack through the hole in the body. Look into the body
of the injector parts, both new and used, are clean.
bore and move the rack until you can see the drill
marks. Hold the rack in this position.
position of the injector parts, then proceed as follows:
2. Place the gear in the injector body so that the
marked tooth is engaged between the two marked teeth
Assemble Injector Filters
Always use new filters and gaskets when reassembling
3. Place the gear retainer on top of the gear.
4. Align the locating pin in the bushing with the slot in
1. Insert a new filter, dimple end down, slotted end up,
the injector body, then slide the end of the bushing into
in each of the fuel cavities in the top of the injector body
Assemble Spray Tip, Spring Cage and Check Valve
Install a new filter in the inlet side
Refer to Fig. 36 and assemble the parts as follows:
(located over the injector rack) in a
fuel injector with an offset body. No
1. Support the injector body, bottom end up, in injector
filter is required in the outlet side of
holding fixture J 22396.
2. Place a new seal ring on the shoulder of the body.
2. Place a new gasket on each filter cap. Lubricate the
threads and install the filter caps. Tighten the filter caps
to 65-75 lb-ft (88-102 Nm) torque with a 9/16" deep
Wet the seal ring with test oil and
install the ring all the way down past
the threads and onto the shoulder of
Purge the filters after installation by directing
the injector body. This will prevent
compressed air or fuel through the filter caps.
the seal from catching in the threads
and becoming shredded.
4. Install clean shipping caps on the filter caps to
prevent dirt from entering the injector.
A new injector nut seal ring protector (J 29197) is now
available to install the seal ring. Use the following