Clean and inspect all engine parts and
it to remove the rust preventive and blow out the oil
galleries with compressed air.
subassemblies and, using new parts as required, install
them on the cylinder block by reversing the sequence of
1. Mount the cylinder block on the overhaul stand.
The procedures for inspecting and
installing the various parts and sub-assemblies are
2. If a new service replacement block is used, stamp
outlined in the following sections of this manual.
the engine serial number and model number on the pad
located in the upper right-hand corner on the blower side
5. Use a chain hoist and suitable sling to transfer the
of the block. Also stamp the position numbers on the
engine to a dynamometer test stand.
main bearing caps (Fig. 19) and the position of the No.
I bearing on the oil pan mounting flange of the block.
Complete the engine build-up by installing all
remaining accessories, fuel lines, electrical connections,
3. Install all of the required cylinder block plugs and
drain cocks. Use a good grade of non-hardening
sealant on the threads of the plugs and drain cocks.
7. Operate the engine on a dynamometer, following the
Install the plugs flush with or below the surface of the
8. Reinstall the engine.