Needle Valve Tip Test (Using J 23010 Tester and
Assemble injector parts on tip test adaptor as follows:
Make sure lever 4 is in the down
position before operating pump lever
1. Clamp the flat sides of the tip test adaptor J
23010129 firmly in a vise and assemble the cleaned
injector parts including the check valve cage, spring,
3. Operate pump lever 1 to build up to 1600 to 2000 psi
spring seat, spring cage and spray tip assembly.
(I1 024-13 780 kPa) on gage 1. Check for leakage at
the injector filter cap gaskets, body plugs and injector
2. Carefully pilot the injector nut over the spray tip and
nut seal ring.
valve parts and thread it onto the adaptor (Fig. 14).
Injector Pressure Holding Test
3. Tighten the injector nut.
This test determines if the body-to-bushing mating
4. Mount the adaptor and assembled injector parts in
surfaces in the injector are sealing properly and
the support bracket (adaptor plate not needed). Refer to
indicates proper plunger-to-bushing fit.
1. Clamp the injector properly and purge the air from
5. Install the offset clamping head on the clamping post
(on J 23010 testers without serial numbers, use the
upper detent position and on J 23010 testers numbered
2. Close the Thru-Flow valve, but do not overtighten.
1051 and higher, use the lower detent position).
3. Move lever 2 to the rear, horizontal position.
6. Select the (larger) 9/16 "-18 threaded coupling nut J
23010-20 and thread it on tubing J 23010-75. Install the
4. Operate pump lever 1 until
tubing and fitting to adaptor J 23010-167.
approximately 700 psi (4 823 kPa).
7. Connect the tubing to tip test adaptor J 23010-129 by
5. Move lever 4 to the up position.
threading the coupling nut on the tip test adaptor.
6. Time the pressure drop between 450 to 250 psi (3
Installing Adaptor and Tube Assembly on Tester J
100 to 1 723 kPa). If the pressure drop occurs in less
than 15 seconds (fixture J 23010) or 40 seconds (fixture
J 9787), leakage is excessive.
1. Position the adaptor and tubing assembly with the
solid projecting end located in the hole on the left side of
the support bracket.
the fuel injector does not pass any of the preceding
2. Swing the clamping head over the adaptor and
clamp it with the oil supply outlet aligned over the open
If the fuel injector passes all of the above tests, proceed
with the Fuel Output Test.
Unclamping the Injector
Use the fuel injector clamping
procedure to clamp adaptor J 23010-
1. Open the Thru-Flow valve to release pressure in the
167 in the injector tester. Spray Tip
2. Move lever 5 down to release the clamping pressure.
1. Move lever 4 down and operate the pump lever I
rapidly with smooth even strokes (40 strokes per minute)
3. Swing out the adaptor plate and remove the injector
simulating the action of the tip functioning in the engine
after the nylon seals in the clamping head are free and
clear of the injector filter caps.
2. Note the pressure at which the needle valve opens
4. Carefully return lever 5 to the up (horizontal)
on gage 1. The valve should open between 2200 and