Fig. 12. Camshaft Plug Installation
8. Install the camshaft and balance shaft front end
Install Camshaft and Balance Shaft
bearings with the bolts and lock washers. Tighten the
bolts to 35-40 Ib-ft (47-54 Nm) torque.
1. Insert the front end of the camshaft into the opening
on the blower side of the engine. Push the camshaft
into the cylinder block until the camshaft gear teeth
almost engage the teeth of the mating gear. Use care
Install the front bearings with care to
when installing the camshaft to avoid damaging the cam
avoid dislodging the thrust washers.
Do not hammer the bearings into the
The right-hand gear (viewing the
9. Apply grease to the steel face of each thrust washer
engine from the flywheel end), has
and place them so that the steel faces are against the
left-hand helical teeth.
outer end of the camshaft and balance shaft front
2. Align the timing marks on the mating gears as shown
10. Turn the camshaft intermediate bearings until the
holes in the bearings are in alignment with the tapped
holes in the top of the cylinder block. Install the lock
screws and tighten them to 15-20 Ib-ft (20-27 Nm)
3. Secure the camshaft rear end bearing to the cylinder
block with the three bolts and lock washers. Rotate the
camshaft gear as required to install the bolts through
the hole in the gear web (Fig. 5). Tighten the bolts to
35-40 lb-ft (47-54 Nm) torque.
The current "high" cylinder blocks
incorporate longer lock screws than
4. Insert the balance shaft in the bore in the cylinder
were used formerly on the "low"
block and push it in until the teeth of the balance shaft
gear almost engage the camshaft gear teeth.
5. Align the timing marks on the mating gears as shown
When the intermediate bearings are
locked into position with the
gear into place.
lockscrew, the bearing must have
slight movement in the block bore.
6. Secure the balance shaft rear end bearing. Use the
same procedure as outlined for the camshaft rear end
11. Install the front balance weights on the shafts.
bearing (Step 3).
12. Place an internal tooth lock washer on the end of
7. Apply grease to the steel face of each thrust washer.
each shaft and start the nuts on both shafts.
Then place a thrust washer against the inner end of the
camshaft and balance shaft front end bearing. The steel
13. Use a wood block (Fig. 4) between the balance
face of the thrust washer must be against the bearing.
weights or wedge a clean cloth between the camshaft