CLUTCH PILOT BEARING
With the flywheel removed from the engine, the clutch
The clutch pilot bearing is pressed into the bore of the
pilot bearing may be removed as follows:
flywheel assembly and serves as a support for the inner
1. Place the flywheel on wood supports to provide
end of the clutch drive shaft.
clearance for the bearing.
2. Use bearing remover J 23907-2, as outlined above,
The clutch pilot bearing is held in place by a scuff plate,
or tool J 3154-04 with suitable adapter plates, to tap the
or bearing retainer, secured in place by the flywheel
bearing from the flywheel.
Wipe the prepacked double-sealed bearing clean on the
A double-sealed ball type clutch pilot bearing is
outside and inspect it. Shielded bearings must not be
prepacked with grease and requires no further
washed, dirt may be washed in and the cleaning fluid
could not be entirely removed from the bearing.
Check the bearing for free rolling by holding the inner
race and revolving the outer race slowly by hand. Rough
spots in the bearing are sufficient cause for rejecting it.
1. Remove the six bolts attaching the flywheel to the
crankshaft. Remove the bearing retainer and re-install
Install Clutch Pilot Bearing.
two of the bolts to hold the flywheel in place.
2. With the clutch pilot bearing remover adapter J
1. Lubricate the outside diameter of the bearing with
23907-2 attached to slide hammer J 23907-1, insert the
clean engine oil.
fingers of the adapter through the pilot bearing and
2. Start the bearing in the bore of the flywheel, with the
tighten the thumb screw to expand the fingers against
numbered side of the bearing facing away from the
the inner race of the bearing.
engine, and drive the bearing in place with bearing
3. Tap the slide hammer against the shoulder on the
installer J 3154-04 and suitable adapter plates.
shaft and pull the bearing out of the flywheel.
3. Install the flywheel on the crankshaft (refer to Page